Friday, February 18, 2011

Add-on week @sketchsupport!

This week is add-on week over at sketchsupport and this is my take on it.
Supplies - Cardstock: Bazzill; Stamps: Close To My Heart, Stampin Up, and unknown; Rub-ons: Close To my Heart, Basic Grey, and Stampin Up!; Watercolor crayons: Stampin Up!; Ink: StazOn; Paint: Making Memories; Other: Stampin Up! die, Glimmer Mist, 

For the February add-on sketch, I decided to build my whole page around it. It started out as a frame for my picture and grew from there!

I started by first taking my 5" x 7" picture and some water and rubbed/sanded away part of the photograph to leave a distressed white space around Mason. This is a great way to use photos that have something distracting in them that may otherwise cause you to not use them or even toss them! 

I then stamped a sentiment and stamped off the edge of the picture to add a few vines creeping onto the blank area. 
I didn't stick the photo down until the layout was almost completely finished, I just tacked it down in the general area so I would know where to place the words as I went. I also stamped the vine and butterflies up the edge of the page to create a border. Next, I stamped phrases in random areas and built on that with rub-on words and more stamps. 
I made sure to use StazOn ink so that none of it would bleed or run on the next step.

I punched holes for his name, a few flowers and a heart so that I could stitch them after the background was finished.

Because everything was done in the same colors I knew I wanted to do a "whitewash" effect over the word background to add a little more color. I mixed some paint to match his eyes and then watered it down and then brushed it across the layout. I had to let this dry overnight.

Next I used watercolors and traced the vines with green and blended it with my fingers. 

After this was done I stitched all the previously punched areas in purple for another pop of color. Then, I began cutting out around the vines up the outer edge. I tore all the edges of the paper and then added it to another purple background and tore those edges as well. 
 I did this one more time with a black cardstock that I also spritzed with silver Glimmer Mist to add a light sparkle. Finally I placed all the previous layers together on the original colored cardstock and painted the edges with purple paint.

Last but not least, I used a die to punch out lots of little butterflies and added them throughout the page on top of many of the stamped butterflies along with rhinestones in the center of each stitched flower. I also added one larger mesh butterfly just under the picture.


  1. I love this layout. The colors are great together. I want to see it friday night.

  2. Such a sweet and pretty layout! Love all your details! Your layout shared on sketch support ROCKED too! Love how you used so many photos and a combo of color and B&W!